The Council for Agricultural Science and Technology (CAST) recently sponsored a 3-day symposium in Washington, D.C. in cooperation with the United States Department of Agriculture. Thirty-two presenters, speaking individually or as panelists, addressed the topic of "Sustaining Animal Agriculture: Balancing Bioethical, Economic, and Social Issues."
Critical issues addressed during the symposium included
• bioethical and animal welfare issues,
• analysis of certification and regulatory programs,
• integration of competing concepts surrounding the ethical use of food animals,
• long-term survival and food security,
• societal and global impacts, and
• consequences of decisions by consumer and government decision makers.
Proceedings from the CAST Symposium are now available [click here.] The PDF document contains both text presentations and PowerPoint slides from speakers who made their material available. After opening the PDF, readers should click on the “Bookmark” icon in the upper-left margin for easy navigation to any individual section of the document.